On this episode we continue our podcast takeover series with Tamsin Jones of The Boardroom Africa. Her guest today is Suzanne Biegel of Catalyst at Large. Suzanne has more than 25 years’ of experience as an entrepreneur, investor, board member, and hands-on operational manager. Her consulting, speaking, facilitation, writing and field scanning is in gender lens investing, globally and spans work with a variety of institutional actors.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- About what it means to practice smart investing for gender impact. Suzanne provides tactics and strategies to help us improve.
- The importance of having a culture that is built to last. Suzanne has learned through experience that there is strength in diversity.
- If you don’t have a management team that reflects who you are representing, you might be missing something. Inherent value in having different perspectives.
- Suzanne tells us about the benefits of analyzing your business through a gender lens.
- If you are designing products for women and girls, wouldn’t it make sense to have them involved in the design process?
- Pay attention to ‘hidden influencers’ along the way. These might not be your customers, entrepreneurs, or end clients, but could be the controllers, HR staff or accountants in the company. Are they benefiting from the resources and support? Who is in your supply chain?
- Is your company paying attention to women’s needs? Transportation? Child Care? Is there a safe way for women to get to and from work?
- From a customer standpoint, how are you speaking to your women customers? Are you being respectful? Are you hitting stereotypes? Start by asking questions.
- The data shows that once you get product market fit right for female customers, they will be more loyal. Once you secure a female customer, they tend to be more communicative about the product to others and in essence become an ambassador. They are more likely to recommend products and more likely to buy more.
- Be purposeful in where you use your energy. There are a lot of people on the same journey as you. Find partners and work collaboratively where possible.
- Start with a problem that you are really trying to resolve and go towards it relentlessly.
- There are endless events and resources worldwide. People are realizing there is power in connectivity! Visit a few of Suzanne’s resources below…
Links to Resources:
- Catalyst at Large
- Acumen Lean Data
- Grand Challenges
- Shell Foundation
- Criterion Institute
- Calvert impact Capital
Resources for Investors:
Connect with Suzanne: