This episode is about the one thing that changes everything — mindset. Or attitude. We’re living in tough times, and often, our mindset, our attitude, our outlook, can hold us back. With fear, worry, panic, stress, all these different emotions entering our day at some point. All these things hold us back. But, with the understanding of how our minds work, and with the tools to shift our attitude, we can accept this new reality and choose to take action.
“We can’t make PPE. But we are experts on attitude and we know how people can change their mindset.”
I’m joined by Scott Roy, CEO of Whitten Roy Partnership. Scott is an expert in the art of selling and sales management. According to Scott, attitude is the most important component of successful selling, which is why they are experts in attitude and how people can change their mindset to generate optimal results for their organisation.
Listen to this episode to learn:
- About the process you can take to shift your own attitude and the eBooklet that WRP are offering free to download on their website.
- Understand the different forms of attitude, from overwhelm to possibility, so you can recognise which you’re in and then what you can do with it.
- We talk about for the four states of overwhelm, which are compulsion, obligation, survival and impossibility.
- Compulsion: Panic buying is a form of compulsion. It’s the feeling that you have to do things to fix this, to get ahead, to make it go away. It’s an obsession. It saps alot of your energy. An example is having to watch the news, to not miss anything – to see how many people had died and what was happening next.
- The next state is obligation. This is where you’re so overwhelmed and exhausted, that you give up on trying to change things, you just put up with it. Like you’re now in quarantine, you complain about it, you moan about it to your friends, etc. There’s not very much you can actually do, other than muddle your way through it
- Next is a state of survival, which is like running around like a headless chicken
- Next is a state of impossibility, when you think there’s nothing you can do, you’re frozen, and you hold up your hands in resignation.
- To understand these states of overwhelm is to know how our mind works. It makes conclusions, demands and predictions, and we can interpret our thoughts through these lenses.
- Conclusions: this is the worse crisis the world has ever known…
- Demands: this has to stop, things have to get back to normal, someone has to do something, I have to do something…
- Predictions: things will never be the same again, we will never recover from this, my business will never recover, things will be much harder…
- Then, once you’ve understood these states of overwhelm, take some deep breaths, in through your nose for 4 seconds and out 4 seconds. Do this 3-4 times. Feel yourself settled. Then say out loud “This is really happening, we’re in a pandemic, this is real. And I accept it.”
- The next step is deciding what you’re going to do about this. It’s about choosing your response to those things you care about, rather than being led or blindly following an automatic response from your brain.
- And finally, the last step is aiming. Say “I want this because…. And I want that because I want…” and keep repeating this, and find what’s possible.
- So in summary:
- First step: Recognise youre in overwhelm. That you have to be transparent, not just show the brave face, but share your nervousness, that you’re not feeling confident about the future.
- Second step: inquiry — to understand why you’re in overwhelm. What conclusions-demands-predictions am I making?
- Third step: generating brilliance — to boldly and confidently choose what you’re going to do about the situation, which is within your control.
- WRP are offering free live public experiences throughout May. You can book or download the eBooklet by visiting the link below. Or you can get in touch and request a lead consultant lead your company through this free of charge.
Resources from this episode:
- Download the eBooklet and book a live public experience: wrpartnership.com/booklet
Connect with Scott: