FIP 98: Lessons From Bedriye Hulya Who Was Able to Prevent a Burnout
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
This week on the Finding Impact Podcast, we are talking about burnout in the social sector, the third in our interview series, and we talk about Bedriye Hulya’s own experience, and how it took a very unique project that aims to promote the inner wellbeing for changemakers to help her get unstuck and make drastic changes in her life. Bedriye is founder of b-fit, which is a chain of women-only sport and health centers in Turkey, and uses a unique franchising model which empowers women.
On this podcast, you will learn:
- More about her b-fit model.
- Profit versus social good: how Bedriye maintained the thin line / keeping the balance between focusing on maintaining a profit so you’re sustainable, but also keeping in mind that the social good is more important than the profit.
- When Bedriye started to feel symptoms of burnout:
- She felt trapped, started getting angry at people, started to resent the company and her work, and started to feel an injustice of trying to do social good, but not feeling good herself.
- About her experience with the Wellbeing Project, an intensive 18-month program for creating and supporting a culture of inner wellbeing for changemakers.
- Bedriye particularly benefited from Gestalt Practice which made her realize she lost touch with herself and her feelings by burying things that she should have lived through.
- How Bedriye loved founding the company but hated management and felt like she was forcing herself to fit into the role.
- Her advice to other social entrepreneurs stuck in the hamster wheel: take a sabbatical (if possible), do inner work (ie. Gestalt Practice, going to therapy, etc.) – anything looking into yourself to understand what processes are manifesting in your altered behaviors or thoughts or feelings. Afterwards you will learn your strengths and weaknesses and I recommend that people do their inner work.
Links to Resources:
- The b-fit website
- The b-fit model description on Ashoka website
- The Wellbeing Project
- Gestalt Practice
Connect with Bedriye:
- E-mail: BedriyeHulya@b-fit.com.tr